Simond Private School (Simond Privaatskool) takes its name from Pierre Simond the first French Hugenot minister of religion to serve this district. Excluding a period of 9 months during the Anglo-Boer war, when the school was used as an infirmary, there has always been a school on these premises.
The historic architecture with additional modern developments honour the tradition and work of the founding members 166 years ago. However, their greatest legacy is reflected in the ongoing labour of a community living the vision to ensure that each child, from Pre-School to College, is encouraged to embrace the Christian faith and God`s purpose for their lives, and in doing so, to make a difference in this world.
Founded in 1852 to educate the Dutch and French children of the valley, our school has always been one of integration. During the previous century the integration was between Afrikaans and English.
The very first teacher to be appointed, Mr. D.R. Blankenberg, had to show his ability to teach not only Dutch, English, Writing, Geography, History and “Cyferen” – Numbers (math) but he had to be able to teach Church History and to Catechize.
The year 2017 marked our 165th year of existence and our 20th year after regaining our independence. From 1956 to 1996 the school was a state-run educational institution known as Laerskool Pierre Simond . Some older folks in town still refer to the school as such.